Outex phone kit dome installation instructions.
Phone kit installation is very similar to all other Outex products. The Cover creates a waterproof seal in conjunction with the lens port.
As with all Outex installation, to avoid breaking or damaging any of the items involved if you drop them, we suggest you perform the installation while sitting down with the devices over your lap, or at a table with a soft top such as towel or cloth.
Waterproof Underwater Test
Test the installation without any gear inside first. This process will teach you good habits and critical basics of the Outex seal process, just like our camera products. The wrist strap goes thru the cover loop.
Phone waterproof seal test video.
Critical Installation Details.
- Insert the phone into the Outex cover thru the opening, with the phone camera lens facing forward/outward thru the lens opening. Hold the cover with one hand and phone with the other and shuffle the phone back & forth until it’s fully inserted. Set it aside.
- Remove the washer & nut from the lens port by unthreading them from counterclockwise. Insert the lens port into the cover’s built-in channel inside the opening, ensuring the cover opening ‘lip’ is evenly distributed all the way around. The built-in channel inside the cover secures the port in place and exposes the threads.
- Place the washer onto the port with the washer’s female/L-shaped side in direct contact with the cover’s male lip. The washer’s flat surface side should be facing up, exposed. Now thread the nut clockwise against the port’s threads. Use one hand to pickup & hold the phone/cover, and the other to screw in the nut on the port’s thread. Tighten it until secure but turning it several times. Threading it will create the waterproof seal.
Helpful tip: If you will be operating the case mostly underwater, before sealing the it, try to ensure the phone's touchscreen is physically away from the cover on the inside of the case, and not touching it. This will aid in touchscreen responsiveness, and increase float due to the increased trapped air. In other words, if the case is constantly touching the phone's touchscreen, it confuses the sensor/prevents it from detecting your finger's commands. But allowing some air inside the case the touchscreen's responsiveness increases during use. This is personal preference. You will develop your own habits over time.
Phone kit installation video
The Phone Dome Port installation is identical to the flat lens port, except that the Dome’s washer & nut are built into the Dome itself.
Phone Seal Installation Details
Detailed overview of the waterproof seal installation:
1. Detach/unscrew the nut + washer
2. Insert the metal flange into the cover's built-in channel groove near the opening. Pull cover back until threads are exposed.
3. Thread/screw the nut + washer back on. Turns get tighter as you turn clockwise, creating a better seal.
Operating the camera functions underwater
Use the hard buttons to operate your camera. Most phones are pre-programed that way already, but you can also re-configure the hard buttons. The cover reduces the touchscreen sensitivity but allows you to operate basic functions.
Water pressure will disable touchscreen control, but you can use it at the surface.
Outex covers are engineered of a proprietary, patented, malleable, stretchy, silicone-based material that's designed to maintain control over all your operational functionality. Similar to our camera-based covers, the Outex phone covers maintain tactile feel over your hard buttons, as well as LCD screen electro-magnetic control. While the cover diminishes the sensitivity & accuracy over the LCD screen, it allows you to control enough of the functionality to get you back into image-capture (camera) modes. This ensures you can restart the phone, switch apps, change some settings, or dismiss an incoming call if you have to.
The Outex Phone kit was not designed to be kept on your phone 24/7. Like our camera products, it's meant to be used as needed, for inclement conditions, and underwater. It's easy to put on and take off, lightweight, and compact, making it a breeze to transport, and convenient to have it available anytime you need it.
Keep in mind that water and water pressure will also potentially impact the LCD screen. The phone's LCD screen will be unresponsive while submerged because water pressure will push the Outex cover flush against the LCD screen. Return to the surface to adjust your settings or make changes.
Use the unlock screen on your phone to directly and easily access and operate the camera. You can simply press the camera button on the bottom right hand corner, then use the hard buttons on the side of the phone to trigger video or photos on the camera.
Phone Dome benefits example video
Helpful Installation Tips for Phone Kits
Remove any external phone cases.
The wrist strap is the best way to ensure you won’t drop or sink your kit.
The Dome adds significant buoyancy as it traps enough air inside to float most phones.
Operate the phone using hard buttons and touchscreen pressure rather than sliding your fingers on the touchscreen. Water pressure will prevent use of the touchscreen, but you can use it above water, then use the hard buttons underwater as needed.
Explore your camera’s lens and imaging settings. Most phones have more than one lenses for different focal lengths and your results will vary/depend accordingly.
Outex phone case dimensions
Compatibility includes Apple iPhone and iPhone Max all models, Google Pixel phones, and Samsung Galaxy and Galaxy S Ultra phones.