Proper Installation is a Critical Component of Your Experience!
1. Watch the installation videos carefully. Details are important.
2. Perform the test.
3. Practice a few times in controlled environment. The first time is always the hardest. But you'll be a pro after a few uses.
The above video is an installation overview that covers the basics of installing any of the Outex housings, including the covers, front and rear glass, and straps. For the Entry Kit, the process is similar but you have to insert the camera thru the front opening and there is no rear glass. There are specific videos showing different Outex products, add-ons, and accessories, such as tripod, flash, tethering, straps, domes, and other Outex housing components. Initial test without camera gear if you're doing it for the first time. Contact us if you have questions or need help.
Waterproof Seal Test
The Outex system enables waterproof tethering with the use of our T covers and cable adaptors. You can connect data, power, and other cables* to your camera while maintaining the waterproof seal. The cable adaptor's patented system creates a waterproof seal so you can operate it normally. Jerk-Stoppers are encouraged as they prevent the wiring from coming undone inside the housing. Both 1st and 2nd generation covers work the same way, and the openings accommodate either/both tripod and/or cable adaptors thru the same Cover openings. We offer both single (T1 and double T2) opening covers. The openings are located on the bottom of the cover for 1 opening, and bottom + side for T2 covers.
As you can see from our thousands of customers on every continent, military users, online community, etc, Outex is designed to protect your gear in any environmental condition and underwater (down to 10 meters/33feet) using a mirrorless underwater housing system. Always follow the installation instructions from the videos, specially as it relates to the seals. Contact us if you have questions or need help.
When used underwater (including in & out of the water) for extended periods of time (2+ hours), please monitor/check frequently to ensure the seals are firm/secure and re-tighten the seals as needed. Extended manipulation of the camera inside the housing/cover sometimes loosens the seal and can lead to leaks over time. By re-tightening and checking over time you're reducing the chances of accidental breach.
Critical Components of Installation:
1. Cover lip is evenly distributed around the base of the inner flange of the Outex glass rings - around the base of the circumference.
2. Apply the L-shaped middle O-ring facing the right direction. The O-Ring acts as the "female" match to the Cover lip's "male". So the O-Ring opening faces downward towards the cover, creating the seal.
3. When threading/tightening the seal with the outer ring, create the pressure on the Outex parts, not the camera or lens. For example, on the front glass, one hand should hold the inner (inside the cover portion attached to the lens) portion of the flange, and the other hand should be holding the outer ring that threads onto it. This way you are applying pressure onto the seal, and not to the lens itself. The same applies on all/any of the Outex seals.
4. Always conduct the water test in a sink, tub, bucket, pool, or similar calm body of water if you're submerging the camera for use. This will confirm that your installation is correct. If you see continuous escaping air bubbles, repeat the sealing around the affected area (steps 1-3).
Using the Camera and Lens Through the Waterproof Housing System
Outex Is Not Insurance
Outex Housings are like any other product. It performs as designed and cannot control use or environment. Like a car or a knife, we stand behind the benefits of our products, but cannot protect you against collisions (in the case of a car) or cuts to yourself (in the knife example). All water housing solutions offer some element of risk, which is largely dependent on condition, installation, and use. If you're looking for insurance to protect your gear in the case of accidental use, there are affordable options from a number of companies. Here are some examples: